The Ho Municipal Security Council has locked the Ho Central Mosque for two weeks while a litigation over the Regional Imam position was being settled.
The lockdown covers the area surrounding the building; a decision Mr Alexander Yeboah, Municipal Police Commander, said was to prevent clashes between the two factions.
The site had been open while the year long litigation simmered but following a failed peace attempt recently, the Security Council has decided to restrict access completely.
The Police had to rush in on Friday to seal off the place, when the supporters of Alfa Anas defied the order and made their way to the mosque to pray.
“We went there to maintain peace and to ensure the orders given by the Security Council and the Regional Police Commander were adhered to.”
“The place must be under lock to prevent a possible clash,” Mr Yeboah said.